Posts tagged excessive sweating
Usually hot flashes and sweats are associated with women since they are a common menopause symptom. However, there are a lot of men who also suffer with hot flashes.
Hot flashes is men are not as uncommon as you might think them to be. They are considered to be a symptom of male menopause or Andropause and they can occur due to a drop in your testosterone levels. Listed below are some of the causes and treatments that might consider in order to get rid of such hot flashes:
Causes of Hot Flashes in Men
Let us look at the causes of these hormonal changes, which gives hot flashes:
- Andropause: Andropause is male menopause which occurs during the aging process in men, and hot flashes are the common symptoms of this condition. Andropause is usually a result of a drop in your testosterone levels. Testosterone is the principle male hormone and it is abundantly produced in your body during puberty and early adolescence. However, most men begin losing testosterone at the rate of 1-1.5% a year after the age of 30 and this results in the onset of Andropause. Some of the other symptoms accompanied by hot flashes in this process include weight gain, trouble at sleeping and slow hair growth. low libido, erectile dysfunction, loss of lean muscle, reduced energy and stamina, fatigue etc.,
- Infections: Certain infections like HIV/AIDS or tuberculosis can also be giving a man hot flashes or can also cause night sweats.
- Tumor/Cancer: If you are experiencing hot flashes along with testicular pain, immediately contact a doctor as this could be a sign of cancer. Males can also experience hot flashes due to a tumor present in pituitary gland or hypothalamus.
- Hormone Level: Sudden hot flashes may also occur as a hormone imbalance symptom, like when there is a sudden and substantial lowering in the level of the testosterone, which is the sex hormone or the androgen hormone.
- Reaction to Food/Medicine: Reaction to MSG, that is, mono sodium glutamate can also cause hot flashes. This is a food additive, and one needs to check their diet for MSG. A person can also experience hot flashes as an allergy to certain medications, like nifedipine, niacin, calcitonin, etc.
Hot Flashes Symptoms in Men
The symptoms of hot flashes can be mild to severe. The mild signs of hot flashes are less discomforting than the severe ones.
- The signs typically start with the face and spread to the neck and chest area, lasting for seconds to minutes
- The hot flash can start with a feeling of warmth spreading in the upper body, with skin redness and mild perspiration to excessive sweating
- Finally the person will get a cold, clammy and uncomfortable feeling, if the hot flashes are occurring during night they can interfere with sleeping
- Other uncomfortable sensations like dizziness, weakness, heart palpitations and pressure feeling can also be experienced along with the hot flashes
Treatment of Hot Flashes
It is important to get yourself diagnosed, to know the exact cause behind the occurrence of hot flashes. The doctor will suggest a blood test to check the deficiency of testosterone, which most probably will be giving you the hot flashes. After the underlying cause has been identified, a person can get rid of hot flashes with the appropriate treatment. The treatment involves mostly changing the medications or testosterone therapy.
HRT or Hormone Replacement Therapy for treatment of hot flashes in men involves introducing the female hormone in the male body. HRT is many times used to treat effects of andropause. It has been shown in a study, that men who were given estrogen, found relief from this condition. However, there were some side effects related to this treatment. HRT helps and the newer treatments the side effects are becoming less. In case you are getting hot flashes due to some food product, then keep a close check on your diet and avoid such foodstuffs. Similarly, keep in check if certain medications are causing hot flashes. Get these medications replaced with safer ones.
However, you can follow these prevention tips, which will reduce the severity and discomfort caused by hot flashes -
- Dress up in light and loose-fitting clothes
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
- If you suffer from hot flashes during night, drink a glass of water to prevent dehydration
- Use a fan and keep the windows open at all times if possible
- If you get sweats at night, you can turn your pillow upside down, or change your bedding in severe cases
- Try to avoid stress, and go for yoga or meditation
As far as treating andropause is concerned, one of the most effective ways to do so is with the help of some adjustments in your lifestyle and dietary habits. Some of such changes are listed below:
- Regular exercise is a great way to boost testosterone levels – Exercise, particularly strength or weight training is an excellent way to boost the production of testosterone in your body. A hard hitting session in the gym can give your body a good testosterone boost. However, it is important to cut down your workout to 45-60 minutes a session since too much of exercise can increase stress which can affect testosterone production negatively.
- Reducing Stress – This is also important since too much of stress is bad for your testosterone levels. Here is important study on stress and testosterone. Some of the best ways to beat stress include yoga, meditation etc., Many a men also find exercise to be a great stress buster. In addition to this, it is also important to get adequate sleep each night. Lack of sleep can build stress and affect testosterone production in your body.
- Avoid Too Much Carbs and Sugars – Foods that are rich in simple sugars and carbohydrates tend to increase Insulin secretion in your body which affects testosterone production negatively. Hence, it is important to avoid foods that are rich in carbohydrates and simple sugars.
- Avoid Alcohol – Alcohol and testosterone in your body do not really gel together. Alcohol increases estrogen in your body and lowers testosterone resulting in a poor libido and even erectile dysfunction.
- Lose Some Weight – A flopping belly is one of the most common problems with middle age men. What is worse is that excess belly fat is often associated with heart problem and diabetes in men. Not just this, too much of body fat can increase estrogen and lower testosterone in your body. Hence, it is a great idea to get rid of excess belly fat if you want to boost your testosterone levels naturally.
- Have More Sex – Trust me guys, more sex is another great testosterone booster for men. Simply having an erection can increase your testosterone levels significantly. So, if you want to remain sexually potent, try having more sex.
Natural Testosterone Enhancer
Though there are many testosterone pills and supplements around, Provacyl is one natural testosterone booster that is absolutely safe. It is not better than any other supplement since it is 100% natural and also helps boost HGH production in your body so that you are able to get a younger looking as well as younger functioning body.
It can help increase libido, ensure powerful erections, increase lean muscle, reduce fat, reduce hot flashes and excessive sweating, ensure younger looking skin with less wrinkles etc., It can ensure a complete body makeover and that too without any side effects. It is a dietary supplement and you must have it for at least 3 months to get the best results. Over the past 5 years, thousands of men have been able to regain their overall health and sexual vigor with this supplement.